Yesterday, in the midst of working on the sawmill and coming down with the flu by the end of the day, I realized how close we are to putting up this frame. Like, it’s just one post, and thirty rafters away from the raising. So let this be your unofficial invitation to help me raise a timber frame in the next couple months. Most likely, there will be a crane on site and the extra hands will be used for bracing things, guiding tenons into mortises, moral support, etc.
Faith had a chance to come and take some legitimate pictures of the progress so far. (Much better than what I can capture with my flip phone.)
Yesterday, Pa and I cut only red and chestnut oak. As I’ve mentioned before, the frame will be a mixture of poplar and oak. I would prefer the entire thing to be done in poplar. In terms of weight, the poplar is about half as light. And the poplar cuts much much easier on the sawmill than the oak does. However, the oak tends to resist splitting more than the poplar does. Faith also got some close up shots of the timbers that have already been finished.
The piece on the bottom with lots of mortises and the long tenon is one of the crossbeams. The rough members directly above are rafters that were cut just a week ago and still need to be worked.
I’ve also spent a little bit of time working on the home site, landscaping, back-filling, and doing a bit of stone work. Our basement needed a basement door, so I made one out of pressure treated lumber, which was awful to work with. But now that it’s done, I’m very satisfied with the end product.
The door was made out of pressure treated 2×6’s that were attached to a breadboard end of sorts with tongue and groove joinery. Those were then pegged with oak pegs.
The drystone work will be pointed up later so that we don’t create a prime habitat for some slithery friends. Gravel and stone were back-filled up until a foot or so from ground level.
Pa dug the ditch for my water supply line with a backhoe and we managed to punch a hole in our two foot thick concrete wall to accommodate the line. We picked a weak spot where three blocks met together and had minimal resistance.
My subfloor has remained dry thanks to the multiple layers of 6 mil plastic that I put on it. Faith mentioned that it looked like a layered cake… That’s my girl.